Design Director, IxD
At heart, a designer is someone who intimately believes they can solve human problems with empathy, creativity, and a little bit of elbow grease. Here at Uncorked, the design team imagines and delivers design systems that are pragmatic, yet thought provoking. These systems provide an inspired, sustainable vision of how technology, people and context can redefine our realities. For this role in particular, we are looking for someone who is comfortable being uncomfortable. This person is responsible for helping teams navigate the design process – whether we are building a web presence or an interactive wall, while also successfully advocating for product vision, partnerships with our clients, and ensuring quality execution of the work.
Design Directors at Uncorked are responsible for:
Leading The Product Design Process
Guide the product design process, aligning a deep understanding of our audience, the problem or opportunity at the heart of the concept, the related business considerations, and the technical possibilities. Help develop a solid common understanding of project success metrics, and understand how our final deliverables perform against those metrics.
- Match the appropriate design toolkit and scope to the project need, and manage resourcing against that need (style tiles, sketches, low fi prototypes, design research, wireframes, comps, sketches, etc)
- Evolution of design toolkit (definitions and activities that can be used by new business when discussing offerings, or by teams when in projects)
- Work with peers to create standards and/or templates for design deliverables
- Ensure quality design deliverables that meet the product vision and client needs.
- Manage the team and advocate on behalf of their needs
Partnering With Our Clients
Foster trust with clients, providing leadership around best practices for exploring potential new technology applications, improving existing products, and rolling out new products with confidence that they resonate with the target users as intended.
- Educate and evangelize the value of design with our clients
- Understand and be able to articulate the Why? Who? And How? of a product
- Create awesome work that outlines the intentions and behaviors of a product
- Presentation of key client deliverables
- Involvement in many client-facing touch-points
- Support in synthesizing design research to understand the user that we are designing for
- Support in workshop design and facilitation
Providing Design Leadership Within The Studio
Collaborate with the design leadership team to establish goals, standards, and processes to meet current and emerging needs from the design discipline. Contribute to collective clarity and vision around where the team excels, where skill gaps exist, and how to plan to bolster skills where needed, in the form of training or in additions to the team.
- Collaborate with other Studio leadership; identify areas of opportunity and growth across departments
- Help design department better understand the design team skill set and growth areas
- Personally, build relationships with every member of the design team
- Cultivate relationships with specialized external resources for collaboration as needed
- Find meaningful ways to share work and educate others about design, current trends, and the good work the team is doing
- Ability to put core craft in larger context that includes other sub-disciplines within design, as well as our relationship to strategy, engineering, and production.
- Expert understanding of design, including how to evolve process with changing business, technology, and cultural landscapes.
- Ability to contextualize design work for a variety of audiences who may not have similar background or vocabulary.
- Ability to adapt design process to meet individual challenges at any stage of a project
- Ability to shape and support creative vision for projects/products.
- Ability to balance of business and consumer insights to identify design solutions.
- Direct management of design staff, responsible for annual review and development.
- Smart, strategic, and empathetic approach to design.
- Willing and able to lead a cross-functional team.
- Proven experience designing in variable environments: digital, physical, service, and intersections therein.
- Familiarity with relevant technologies and how they impact design possibilities and limitations.
- Capability to work on simultaneous projects and meet tight deadlines.
- At least 7+ years experience working in the design field and 2+ years managing design teams.
- Love and intimate knowledge of Sketch as a powerful, nuanced design tool
- Positive attitude. Inclusive approach.
- Deep curiosity to explore new things such as machine learning, augmented reality, and other emergent paradigms
- Bachelor’s Degree of Fine Arts, Media Arts, Interaction Design or equivalent education preferred.
- Willingness to get nerdy when it comes to getting hands dirty doing actual design work, if or when needed
- Passion for facilitation and/or leading collaboration within multidisciplinary teams.
- Bring a network of trusted relationships of potential collaborators, future hires, and even potential clients
- Adjacent design superpowers, including but not limited to – writing, design research, prototyping, motion design, crafting, illustration, pattern making, public speaking, etc
- Excitement about cultivating culture within the studio, and how design can play an active role in that
- Willingness to be an Uncorked Ambassador to the broader community
Interested? Reach out! email@example.com.
At Uncorked Studios, we strive to hire a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all of our employees can thrive.
Uncorked Studios is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.