Associate Design Director, IxD
At heart, a designer is someone who intimately believes they can solve human problems with empathy, creativity, and a little bit of elbow grease. Here at Uncorked, the design team imagines and delivers design systems that are pragmatic, yet thought provoking. These systems provide an inspired, sustainable vision of how technology, people and context can redefine our realities. For this role in particular, we are looking for someone who is comfortable being uncomfortable. This person is responsible for helping teams navigate the design process – whether we are building a web presence or an interactive wall, while also successfully advocating for product vision, partnerships with our clients, and ensuring quality execution of the work.
Associate Design Directors at Uncorked are responsible for:
Executing Great Design Work
First and foremost, an Associate Design Director will help execute great design work, supporting the vision of the Design Director, and mentoring other members of the team to ensure that they are successful in meeting expectations.
- Act as an authority within your area of design expertise.
- Execution of deliverables including, but not limited to wireframes, design research briefs, customer journey maps, clickable prototypes, and interaction pattern libraries
- Responsible for the execution of deliverables against a creative vision for a specific project.
- Integrate colleagues into projects through knowledge transfer and/or delegating workload.
- Collaborate with production team for project planning, cost/schedule estimation, and scope definition.
- Participate in design reviews of projects, assessing design direction and emerging feature requests, and communicate your assessment to Uncorked team members, management and clients as required.
Executing Within The Product Design Process
Support the design process by working with colleagues to align a deep understanding of the audience and how design can help solve the problem or opportunity at the heart of the concept, the related business considerations, and the technical possibilities at hand. Understand and drive to the common understanding of project success metrics, and understand how our final deliverables perform against those metrics.
- Advocate for the appropriate design toolkit and scope to the project need, and manage resourcing against that need (style tiles, sketches, low fi prototypes, design research, wireframes, comps, sketches, etc)
- Work with peers to create standards and/or templates for design deliverables
- Develop quality design deliverables that meet the product vision and client needs, and lead junior members of the team to do the same
- Advocate on behalf of the needs of the design team, and identify key collaboration points with cross functional peers
Partnering With Our Clients
Foster trust with clients, providing leadership around best practices for exploring potential new technology applications, improving existing products, and rolling out new products with confidence that they resonate with the target users as intended.
- Treat our clients as partners as co-collaborators in making great product
- Understand and be able to articulate the Why? Who? And How? of a product
- Create awesome work that outlines the intentions and behaviors of a product
- Willingness to present key client deliverables
- Involvement in many client-facing touch-points
- Participation in design-focused workshops
Provide Design Leadership Within The Studio
Collaborate with design colleagues to establish goals, standards, and processes to meet current and emerging needs from the design discipline.
- Ability to put core craft in larger context that includes other sub-disciplines within design, as well as our relationship to strategy, engineering, and production.
- Help build the Uncorked team by reviewing candidate resumes, portfolios, and participating in interviews.
- Improve the Design team’s expertise and culture by mentoring interns and more junior staff members.
- Expand Uncorked’s design capabilities and skills by identifying and communicating emerging trends, techniques, and patterns.
- At least 4+ years experience working in the design field.
- Solid understanding of design, including how to evolve process with changing business, technology, and cultural landscapes.
- Emerging ability to contextualize design work for a variety of audiences who may not have similar background or vocabulary.
- Ability to support creative vision for projects/products.
- Mentorship of design staff and cultivation of design love throughout studio
- Smart, strategic, and empathetic approach to design.
- Experience designing in variable environments — digital, physical, service, and intersections therein.
- Familiarity with relevant technologies and how they impact design
- Capability to work on simultaneous projects and meet tight deadlines.
- Love and intimate knowledge of Sketch as a powerful, nuanced design tool
- Deep curiosity to explore new things such as machine learning, augmented reality, and more.
- Positive attitude. Inclusive approach.
- Bachelor’s Degree of Fine Arts, Media Arts, Interaction Design or equivalent education preferred.
- Passion for facilitation and/or leading collaboration within multidisciplinary teams.
- Bring a network of trusted relationships of potential collaborators, future hires, and even potential clients
- Adjacent design superpowers, including but not limited to – writing, design research, prototyping, motion design, crafting, illustration, pattern making, public speaking, etc
- Excitement about cultivating culture within the studio, and how design can play an active role in that
- Willingness to be an Uncorked Ambassador to the broader community
Interested? Reach out! We always love to chat: email@example.com.
At Uncorked Studios, we strive to hire a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all of our employees can thrive.
Uncorked Studios is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.